As a personal trainer in San Mateo, I often get asked by my clients which exercises are the best for strengthening and toning their glutes. Having strong glutes not only helps to improve the appearance of your backside, but it also has functional benefits such as improving your posture, increasing power and speed during sports, and helping to prevent lower back pain.
Here are my top picks for the best exercises for stronger glutes:
- Squats: Squats are a classic and effective exercise for strengthening the glutes. Try standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and your hands behind your head, then lower your body as if you were sitting back in a chair. Make sure to keep your weight in your heels and push through them to stand back up.
- Lunges: Lunges are another great exercise for targeting the glutes. Step forward with one foot and lower your body until your thigh is parallel to the ground. Push through your heel to return to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
- Glute bridges: Lying on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground, lift your hips off the ground, and squeeze your glutes. Lower back down and repeat for a series of repetitions.
- Step-ups: Step-ups are a great exercise for strengthening the glutes and also working your legs and core. Stand in front of a bench or step and place one foot on it. Step up and bring your other foot onto the bench, then lower yourself back down.
- Clamshells: Lie on your side with your legs bent and stacked on top of each other. Lift your top knee while keeping your feet together, then lower back down and repeat. This exercise targets the gluteus medius, which is the muscle that helps to stabilize your hips.
Incorporating these exercises into your workout routine, along with proper nutrition and rest, can help to improve the strength and appearance of your glutes. As a personal trainer in San Mateo, I highly recommend adding these exercises to your fitness routine.