Have you thought about your health goals for 2021? Now is the perfect time for goal setting… and today I have some tips that will help to stay on-track, no matter what goals you’re working toward.
When it comes to goal setting, you need to set both long and short-term goals to work towards throughout the year. Skipping this step could be the determining factor for your success or failure.
Why do you need to set short and long-term health and fitness goals?
Long-term health goals help you to look at the big picture and see the end game results you want to achieve. Getting to that goal alone could seem daunting. This is why you need to set a series of short-term goals to work toward which will help you achieve your long-term goal.
Here is an example of a weight loss goal that someone might set for themselves. You might want to set a goal to lose a certain amount of weight in a year, this would be your long-term goal and then during that year, you will set a series of short-term goals broken down into shorter time frames such as an 8-12 week period. Keep in mind, you can only safely lose about 1-2 pounds of fat in a week and this will vary from person to person based on many factors. Your nutrition coach can help you determine what your weight loss goal should. If you are choosing your own weight loss goal, let those numbers be your guide but make sure you are being realistic. Usually, it's best to aim for a lower number to allow for life's ups and downs then, if you go above and beyond, that will be an added bonus!
An example of a long-term weight loss goal would be:
One might want to lose 50lbs of fat in a full year. That would mean you need to lose just under 1lb of fat per week to achieve that goal.
An example of a short-term weight loss goal could be:
For your short-term goal, you might want to aim to lose about 12.5lbs of fat in a 12 week period. So instead of feeling defeated thinking about how LONG it's going to take you to reach your 50lb weight loss goal. Each quarter of your year, you would set your short-term goal aiming to lose 12.5lbs which is way more digestible and achievable!
10 Steps to Achieving Your Goals:
1. FOCUS & DECIDE. Instead of choosing several goals to work on all at the same time, harness all that energy and focus it toward just 1-2 main goals.
2. Pick the goal with your BIGGEST WHY. This is the goal that you emotionally connect with and have a STRONG REASON for choosing. (example: “I want to have the energy to play with my kids.” - that’s a pretty big reason). It’s your “WHY” that keeps you going, so it has to be a good one.
3. COMMIT (No, Really.) Commit the right amount of resources (time, energy, and attention) to make your goal a reality. Treat it like anything else important in your life - because it IS!
4. MAKE A PLAN. Every Sunday, set aside 15-30 minutes to plan out your week and make sure you have what you need on-hand and ready to go. Then, every night take 3-5 minutes to make sure you’re on track for the next day. This makes a HUGE difference!
5. TAKE ACTION. This is actually the MOST IMPORTANT STEP of all. You won’t reach your goals without consistent action. Do something daily that moves you closer to your goal.
6. GET SUPPORT & ACCOUNTABILITY. Tell trusted friends and family members what you’re working toward. Or even better, work with an experienced coach who will help you get (and stay) on-track with a proven program. With someone in your corner, when you have a “win” or a setback, you have someone to share it with and that will help spur your motivation to keep moving forward.
7. SET DEADLINES. Don’t skip this one! Without having a specific date to shoot toward, you don’t have any URGENCY to take action. When you feel a clock ticking down toward your goals, it will help you light a fire of motivation.
8. GIVE YOURSELF A REWARD. When you meet milestones along the way toward your goals, reward yourself with a healthy payoff! New shoes, workout gear, a book, or a massage are great choices.
9. MANAGE EXPECTATIONS. Making changes and going after goals can take time and effort. Be patient and stay the course! Give your plan time to work … and know that some days will be easier than others. Just keep repeating step 5 (taking action).
10. REEVALUATE. Do a quick evaluation of where you’re at every few weeks.
Ask yourself these 3 questions:
Are you killing it and staying on track?
Are you following the plan?
Are you following the plan and it’s not working?
If you follow these tips, you will have a successful year. Sometimes concurring your goals on your own is easier said than done. This is where a coach can make a big difference - because they have an experienced, big-picture view of your goals and can help you accelerate your results.
Let me help you create your personalized plan to reach your weight loss goals. We have a PROVEN track record for success! Contact me today so we can get you set up with your new online group training and nutrition program.
Remember – this is YOUR year to shine, and I can’t wait to see you succeed!
Additionally, I would love for you to join my FREE 30 Days to a New You Challenge! Sign up now to get my best tips to get healthier and happier in the New Year! Let's do this together!